Regional History: Gambia

            Gambia is a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural society, with having a population of 1.2 million people, and 90% of the population is Muslims, and the other 10% are Christians or another religion.  The official name of the country Gambia is “Republic of The Gambia”, and was named after the Gambia River.

The country of Gambia is located on the West Coast of Africa, and is engulfed in Senegal, except for the area that meets the Atlantic Ocean.  Banjul is the country’s largest city, and it’s capital city of the country.  Since the country’s land is among the most fertile in the continent, most of its wealth comes from farming or fishing.

gambia_map

The Gambia River, that the country was named after, and surrounds, plays a huge role in its diverse culture.  Gambia has become the home to the most ethnic groups in Africa, due to its river’s nature, and how far it flows into Africa.  This has made Gambia’s history deeply intertwined with European roots since the 15th century.

By 1856, Gambia became a colony under the British Crown, and unsuccessfully tried to abolish slave traffic in the country until 1906.  The Gambia became a fully independent nation in 1970 and proclaimed itself as a republic.

Even though Western culture is starting to influence the country of Gambia, there is still a strong sense of family traditions, native apparel, and customs.  The people of Gambia are not forgetting their roots, especially in the more rural areas.

Contact WordPress Support Company to Update & Secure Your Website